Flavorful way to grill chicken. Don't be afraid of the peppers and hot sauce - the taste after grilling is still relatively mild. Please use free range chicken if your market carries it fresh. Goes perfect with brown rice and grilled zucchini.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 cup rum
- 5 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™) to taste (optional)
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
In a bowl, mix the rum, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, thyme, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce, and serrano pepper. Pierce the chicken on all sides with a fork. Place chicken in a shallow container, and cover with the marinade. Seal container, and marinate chicken in the refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat grill for high heat.
Lightly oil grill grate. Discard marinade and place chicken on the grill. Cook 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.