Great for summer! Crispy fried wonton strips and grilled chicken top lettuce, almonds, sesame seeds, and mandarin oranges; finished with a delicious green onion-based dressing.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- teriyaki marinade
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 (14 ounce) package wonton wrappers
- oil for frying
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chilled, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 (10 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
Place chicken breasts in a bowl, pour teriyaki sauce over them, and coat well. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat an outdoor grill for direct heat.
For the dressing, place green onions, salt, pepper, and sugar in a blender. Pour in olive oil and rice vinegar. Blend until smooth. Remove to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Grill chicken, turning, until done. Remove to a cutting board, and cut into strips.
In a large skillet or wok, warm oil over medium-high heat. Cut wonton wrappers into strips. Fry wonton strips until crisp. Remove to paper towels.
In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, water chestnuts, sesame seeds, sliced almonds, and mandarin oranges. Pour dressing over salad, and toss gently. Top with fried wontons and grilled chicken strips.