Grits, sausage and eggs, an all-in-one breakfast delight.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup ALBERS® Quick Grits
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 pound bulk sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8-inch-square baking dish.
BRING water to a boil in medium saucepan; slowly stir in grits. Cover; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes.
ADD 1 1/2 cups cheese, evaporated milk, garlic powder, pepper and hot pepper sauce to grits; stir until cheese is melted. Add sausage and eggs; stir well. Pour into prepared baking dish.
BAKE for 1 hour. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for additional 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
NOTE: Batter can be made the day before; cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.