A hearty appetizer like these meaty mini quiches is a perfect way to start any meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese
In a saucepan over medium heat, cook beef, garlic powder and pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
In a bowl, combine the biscuit mix and cornmeal; cut in butter. Add enough water to form a soft dough. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of greased miniature muffin cups. Place teaspoonfuls of beef mixture into each shell.
In a bowl, combine the egg, cream, onion, red pepper, salt and cayenne; pour over beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.