Cooked leftover chicken can be tossed into this gumbo and simmered with tomatoes, mushrooms, chile peppers, a little of this and a little of that. Delicious chicken gumbo consistency with tomato base. Makes plenty to last for several days. Serve over hot
INGREDIENTS (for 5 servings):
- 1/4 cup oil for frying
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast meat
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, with liquid
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 dashes hot sauce
Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture is the color of a copper penny. Reduce heat to low and stir in bell pepper and onion. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken, tomatoes with green chile peppers, mushrooms, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Stir together, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.