Italian sausage, ham and kidney beans are the bulk of this tomato-based soup with a splash of pepper sauce and a dash of Worcestershire.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 stalks celery, chopped, with leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
Boil sausage to remove excess fat, and cut into bite-size pieces.
Skin ham hocks, and remove excess fat. In a large pot, brown sausage and ham hocks over medium heat. Drain off excess fat.
Add potatoes, celery, parsley, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, salt, pepper, chili sauce, bay leaves, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce to the meat; add just enough water to cover. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Cover, and continue to cook for 2-3 hours.
Remove ham hocks and cut meat into bite-size pieces. Return meat to pot. Serve.