This Moroccan soup has lamb, lentils, chickpeas, noodles, egg and more and is spiced with cinnamon, ginger, cayenne and turmeric.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound cubed lamb meat
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 7 cups water
- 3/4 cup green lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 ounces vermicelli pasta
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 lemon, juiced
Place the lamb, turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, butter, celery, onion, and cilantro into a large soup pot over a low heat. Stir frequently for 5 minutes. Pour tomatoes (reserve juice) into the mixture and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Pour tomato juice, 7 cups water, and the lentils into the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Let soup simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
About 10 minutes before serving turn the heat to medium-high, place chickpeas and noodles into the soup, let cook about 10 minutes (until noodles are al dente). Stir in lemon and eggs, let eggs cook 1 minute.