Frozen hash brown potatoes are combined with cream of chicken soup, sour cream, onion and cheddar cheese in this casserole with a buttery cracker crust.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (2 pound) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces buttery round crackers, crushed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 8x12 inch baking dish.
Over medium heat, cook the onion until soft.
In a large bowl, combine the onion, potatoes, sour cream, soup, cheese, pepper and hot sauce. Mix well and pour into baking dish. Bake for 50 minutes.
In a saute pan, heat butter or margarine and crackers. Cook until golden brown. Sprinkle over casserole and bake for 30 additional minutes.