No cream, but a potful of clam juice in this chowder with potatoes, thyme and bacon.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 cups peeled, cubed white potatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans minced clams, with juice
- 3 quarts clam juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion, celery and carrots in oil until they begin to soften. Stir in potatoes, clams, clam juice, thyme, pepper and bacon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.