French toast with a tropical twist and a delicious orange flavor. A recipe for tropical fruit sauce is included.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon rum flavored extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 (1 pound) loaf Hawaiian sweet bread, thickly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1 (3 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup maple syrup
In a shallow bowl, whisk together egg yolks, egg white, vanilla, rum extract, orange zest, water and 1 tablespoon honey.
Coat bread slices in egg mixture; set aside.
In a small saucepan, combine crushed pineapple, mandarin oranges, honey and maple syrup. Simmer over medium-low heat for 3 minutes.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Fry bread slices until brown on both sides. Serve hot with warm fruit sauce.