A healthy boost to a breakfast classic! Banana Oat Flapjacks include oats in a basic pancake batter that is ladled onto a hot griddle and topped with bananas that have been tossed with sugar -- the sugar caramelizes as the pancakes cook.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Quaker® Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Maple-flavored syrup, warmed
- Banana slices (optional)
- Coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
In medium bowl, combine banana slices and sugar; stir to coat slices with sugar. Set aside.
In large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; mix well. In medium bowl, combine milk, egg and oil; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)
Heat griddle over medium-high heat (or preheat electric skillet or griddle to 375 degrees F). Lightly grease griddle. For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Top with four or five banana slices. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Serve with warm syrup and, if desired, additional banana slices and nuts.