This sauce is a meat lover's delight! Veal, pork, Italian sausage and pancetta are sauteed with onions, carrots and celery. Then the mixture is slowly simmered with tomatoes and fresh herbs, and served atop fettuccini.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound chopped pork
- 3/4 pound mild Italian sausage
- 6 ounces pancetta bacon, diced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 5 teaspoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound fettuccini pasta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Saute onions, celery, carrots and garlic until tender, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high and add veal, pork, sausage and pancetta; cook until meats are evenly brown.
Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, milk, parsley, basil and thyme. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 2 1/2 hours; stir occasionally, breaking up tomatoes with spoon as you stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add fettuccini and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Serve fettuccini topped with the sauce and Parmesan cheese.