This lentil and vegetable soup has wonderful flavors that become even more intense and satisfying as the soup cooks. Lots of root veggies go into the pot, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, vegetable stock and cilantro. Makes two generous serving
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 parsnip, scrubbed and diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dash soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and mix in the onions, carrot, parsnip, celery, potato, and leek. Stir over a medium heat.
Place lentils, tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, a splash of the soy and Worcestershire sauces and wine in the saucepan. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked.
Remove the bay leaves from the soup. Stir in the cilantro and serve.