A delicious, low-fat soup full of beans, rice, and vegetables. Ideal for folks watching calorie intake, or for those of us trying to eat more vegetables. Completely vegetarian.
INGREDIENTS (for 7 servings):
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
- 2 cups water
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
In a large pot over high heat, combine the celery, onion, carrots, tomatoes, tomato-vegetable juice, water, leek, potato, peas, corn, beans, rice, soy sauce, thyme, ground black pepper, garlic powder and dill weed.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.