Made mostly from scratch, this creamy skillet mixture combines chicken breast with mushrooms, onion, celery, peas and pimentos.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken breast meat
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) can peas, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimento peppers, drained
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute bell pepper, celery and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in onion; mix flour and 1/2 cup of milk in a small bowl and stir mixture into skillet. Beat egg yolks into remaining 1 1/2 cups milk and pour into skillet. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
Add chicken and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in lemon juice, sherry, paprika, salt and pepper. Finally, stir in peas and pimento peppers. Heat through and serve.