This homemade salami is good for party trays. It can be served on platter with sliced cheese and crackers, or just eaten in a sandwich.
INGREDIENTS (for 3 servings):
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons curing salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard seed, curing salt, black pepper and liquid smoke. Mix in the red pepper flakes if desired. Roll the mixture into a 2 inch diameter log, and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Make a few slits in the bottom of the roll to allow the fat to drain when cooking. Place roll onto a broiler pan, and fill the bottom part of the pan with about 1 inch of water to keep the salami moist.
Bake for 90 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from pan and cool completely before unwrapping the salami. Slice and eat as lunchmeat, or serve on a tray with crackers and cheese.