Try the real thing. Delicious tomato, onion and garlic sauce with herbs.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 leaves fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onions in the oil until golden brown. Add crushed tomatoes, water, tomato paste, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Let the sauce come to a boil, lower heat to low and stir occasionally until desired thickness. Sauce is ready when oil rises to the top. Skim off oil.