An oven-baked beef stew with carrots, green pepper and onion, with a honey, mustard, ketchup sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lean beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 strips celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large pot over medium/high heat, heat the olive oil and quickly brown the beef pieces on all sides. Place the onion, green pepper, celery, and carrots into the pot and fry for 5 minutes; stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
In a mixing bowl, combine the honey, lemon juice, mustard, ketchup, water, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Transfer the meat and vegetables to a 2 quart casserole dish. Pour the ketchup mixture over the meat and vegetables.
Bake in a preheated oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.