This recipe is from my mother, who makes this yummy dip every year on New Year's Eve.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (20 ounce) loaf round French bread
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoons beer
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams, drained
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
Cut off top of bread and set aside. Hollow loaf, leaving 1 1/2 to 2 inch shell. Reserve the bread that you pull out of the loaf.
In a medium-size bowl, combine cream cheese, onion, beer, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, and salt. Beat well. Fold clams into the mixture. Pour clam mixture into the hollowed out bread bowl, cover the bread bowl with the bread top. Wrap the loaf in aluminum foil.
Bake at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 3 hours. Use the leftover bread torn from inside the loaf to make bread cubes to dip with. Toast bread cubes with dip during last 5 minutes of baking time.