This is a chicken broth and noodle soup with shrimp, pineapple, soy sauce, lime and a hint of red pepper. It's very elegant but quick to make.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 ounces thin egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook mushrooms and garlic in oil until soft (do not brown). Stir in tomato, pineapple, celery and sugar and cook until tomatoes begin to soften. Stir in chicken broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in lime juice and soy sauce; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and red pepper and simmer 3 minutes more, until shrimp are pink. Stir in bean sprouts, onion and reserved noodles. Heat through and serve.