Forget the complicated Cantonese Hot and Sour Soup with a million ingredients! This is an authentic central Chinese version that will warm your heart and your palate without sending you on a hunt for ingredients.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (12 ounce) package silken tofu, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 eggs, beaten
- 1 portobello mushroom, halved and sliced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 tablespoon Thai chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon citric acid powder (optional)
Measure broth into a saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add tofu and green onions. Slowly drizzle in the beaten egg to make long strands of egg. Add mushrooms and cabbage, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and season with chili sauce, vinegar and soy sauce. Stir in citric acid if using.