A dark and wild tasting stuffing that is sure to disappear quickly! Originally submitted to ThanksgivingRecipe.com. Vegetable broth can be substituted for chicken broth if you have vegetable broth on hand.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 6 cups cubed pumpkin bread
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups red onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet, and let dry overnight. Alternatively, heat in oven until dry at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
Melt butter or margarine in a large pan over medium heat. Add celery and onions; cook for about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring, for about 8 minutes. Mix in herbs, salt, and pepper. Fold in bread cubes. Add enough broth to moisten. Transfer to prepared dish. Cover with foil, shiny side down.
Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover, and bake for 10 minutes to crisp top.