Shrimp is cooked in a flavorful sauce made with coconut milk, cumin, garam masala, cilantro and lemon juice. This dish is not too spicy, and is very easy to make.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
In a medium bowl, stir together tomato paste, salt, sugar, garam masala, ground cumin seed, ground red pepper, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, and coconut milk. Set coconut sauce aside.
Heat oil in a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, and cook until they begin to pop. Immediately stir in garlic, and cook until garlic begins to brown. Add shrimp, and cook until shrimp is opaque; this should take only a minute or two. Pour the coconut sauce over the shrimp; cook until the sauce begins to simmer. In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water; stir into the sauce, and continue cooking until thick.