This colorful spicy side dish goes perfect with kabobs, especially with cherry tomatoes; the color combo is most appealing. Lamb is a good accompaniment.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green onions, chopped
Heat oil in large, heavy pan over medium heat. Stir in onion, jalapeno peppers and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent; about 8 minutes.
Stir turmeric, cinnamon, and rice into the pan; stir for 2 minutes. Mix in the chicken broth, water and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 20 minutes.
Turn off the heat altogether and let sit for 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped green onion.