This is a quick and easy dish that's similar to Indian samosas. Potatoes and peas are cooked with cumin, turmeric, coriander and green chiles, then baked in crescent roll dough. Serve with ketchup or mint chutney, if desired.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 fresh green chile peppers
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can refrigerated crescent roll dough
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain.
In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat oil and add cumin seeds. As they begin to sputter add turmeric and coriander, then potatoes, peas and green chile peppers. Stir in salt and chili powder; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
Roll out crescent dough; fill each roll with potato mixture and form into patties.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until evenly browned.