This stew of beef, potatoes and vegetables is seasoned with rosemary, sage and basil and baked in the oven for 5 hours for a tender, mellow flavor.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3 1/2 pounds cubed beef
- 3 onions, sliced
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups water
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
In a large, ovenproof pot, combine beef, onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, mushrooms, mixed vegetables, tomatoes. Season with garlic, rosemary, sage, basil, salt, pepper. Pour in water. Cover tightly with foil and bake 5 to 6 1/2 hours.