My mother-in-law gave me this recipe over twenty four years ago. I use it frequently and someone always asks for it. A mixture of tangy ingredients, onion and brown sugar creates one tasty sauce! This will keep in the fridge for several weeks.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
In a medium saucepan, mix lemon juice, onion, distilled white vinegar, water, brown sugar, prepared mustard, ground black pepper, salt, cayenne pepper and vegetable oil. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
Stir ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke flavoring into the mixture. Return to boil, then remove from heat. Refrigerate until ready for use.