A tropical pineapple mango salsa does double duty as marinade and relish in this spicy chicken treasure.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, drained with juice reserved
- 2 mangos - peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 green chile peppers, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice and pulp
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
In a bowl, mix the pineapple and reserved juice, mangos, peppers, cilantro, lime juice and pulp, orange juice, rum, and garlic. Let stand for one hour before adding chicken.
Strain juice from some of the salsa, and set aside to use for topping the chicken. Marinate the chicken breast halves in the bowl with the remaining salsa mixture for 2 to 6 hours.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Discard salsa used for marinating, and bake chicken for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken juices run clear. Top with reserved salsa to serve.