A great soup for a dinner party, Italian Halibut Chowder is seasoned with traditional Italian herbs. The halibut swims in a tomato-based stock with red peppers, onions and celery. Delicious garnished with parmesan cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 1/2 pounds halibut steaks, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Saute the peppers, celery, onion, and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomato juice or water, apple juice, mashed tomatoes, and herbs. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add halibut pieces to the soup. Cook until halibut is done, about 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.