Use this flavored vinegar to perk up vegetable soup or stew.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 sprig fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 12 peppercorns
- 3 3/4 cups white wine vinegar (5% acidity)
- Additional fresh rosemary, oregano, and thyme sprigs (optional)
PLACE chopped herbs, shallots, and peppercorns in a large glass container.
BRING vinegar to a boil, and pour over herb mixture. Cover and let stand at room temperature 2 weeks.
POUR mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into decorative bottles, discarding solids. Add sprigs of fresh rosemary, oregano, and thyme, if desired, and seal. Store bottles in a cool, dry place up to 6 months.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.