You could think of this as a veggie Philly cheese steak, with beefy portobello mushrooms standing in for the meat.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced portobello mushroom caps
- 2 (1/4 inch thick) slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (1.5 ounce) slices sourdough bread
- 2/3 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 2 slices provolone cheese
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cover and cook 7 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool.
Combine the mayonnaise, basil, and black pepper. Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture on each bread slice; layer each of 2 slices with 1/3 cup bell peppers, 1/2 cup mushroom mixture, and 1 slice of cheese. Top with remaining bread slices. Cut each sandwich in half.
Reprinted with permission of Cooking Light® magazine. All rights reserved.CALORIES 412 (27% from fat); FAT 12.3g (sat 5.3g, mono 3.8g, poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 18.3g; CARB 60.1g; FIBER 2.6g; CHOL 20mg; IRON 5.9mg; SODIUM 1,117mg; CALC 320mg