This is an easy to make departure from your traditional chili. This recipe calls for pepperoni, mushrooms and a jar of prepared spaghetti sauce. Every time I make this for others, I am always asked for the recipe.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (26 ounce) jar three cheese spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Crumble ground beef into a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring, until beef is evenly browned. Drain grease, if necessary.
Pour in the spaghetti sauce, water, sugar, tomatoes, mushrooms, pepperoni, bouillon, chili powder and kidney beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors.