This one-pot soup doesn't take a lot of time, but it sure tastes like it does. Italian sausage, chopped spinach, and orzo pasta combine with green pepper, onions, and garlic, in a chicken broth and tomato soup.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 6 (4 ounce) links sweet Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound dried orzo pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese to taste
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until done. Crumble sausage into a large pot. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, and tomatoes with their liquid. Stir in parsley, basil, and chicken broth. Cover, place over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes. Stir in orzo and chopped spinach, and cook until pasta is done, about 15 minutes. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.