An interesting combination of spinach, lettuce, and parley are pureed with white rice, carrots, and onions for this savory soup. Garnished with sour cream, paprika, and dill weed.
INGREDIENTS (for 7 servings):
- 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1/3 cups fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 1/3 cups butter lettuce - rinsed, and torn into small pieces
- 1 1/3 cups chopped fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
in a sauce pan cook the stock, onion, carrot, celery and rice for 35 minutes covered or until rice is soft.
Place spinach, lettuce and parsley in saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a quick boil. Drain immediately, and add to soup. Season with parsley, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix in blender until smooth. May be thinned with more broth. Refrigerate overnight.