A Caribbean twist to a great winter-time dish! Sure to get the sinuses flowing!! This can be prepared without meat - just omit the steps with ground beef. Serve this dish by itself or over a bowl of basmati rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 1/2 pounds ground round
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 1/2 cups chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Place ground round in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside. Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. When pan is hot add the olive oil and sautee the onion and garlic until the onion is tender, then put in the yellow pepper and cook until tender. Season with cumin, paprika, chili powder, sugar, salt and cloves. Stir in the stewed tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans and cannellini beans. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil then stir in the meat and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in the vinegar and serve hot topped with fresh cilantro.