This rich chicken soup has a hint of coconut milk and Jamaican spices to give it a unique island flavor. Serve topped with mozzarella, crispy tortilla strips and a wedge of lime.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 8 cups water
- 8 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups crispy tortilla strips
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill for medium heat. Grill chicken breasts for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until browned and cooked through. Remove from the grill, and cut into chunks.
In a large pot, combine the chicken, water, bouillon and carrot. Season with allspice, thyme, cinnamon, ginger and garlic. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Pour in the tomato, coconut milk and hot pepper sauce. Heat through, but do not boil.
Ladle into bowls, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and tortilla strips. Squeeze juice onto soup from lime wedges.