A layered chicken casserole with vegetables, stuffing, a creamy canned soup sauce and a sprinkling of almonds on top.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 ounces herb-seasoned dry bread stuffing mix
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can sliced carrots, drained
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cooked
- 1 (2.25 ounce) package blanched slivered almonds
In a medium bowl combine the melted butter or margarine and dry stuffing mix. Mix well and set aside. In a large bowl mix together the cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise and sour cream. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
To Layer Casserole: Spread peas, carrots and 1/2 of the mushrooms in the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle 1/2 of the stuffing over the vegetable layer and press lightly with hand to compress. Ladle the chicken broth over the stuffing evenly. Next spread 1/2 of the soup mixture evenly over the stuffing. Add the chicken and spread to cover completely. Spread remaining mushrooms over chicken. Pour remaining soup mixture over all and top with remaining stuffing and slivered almonds.
Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove dish from oven, cover once more with foil and let stand about 20 minutes before cutting into individual pieces and serving. Keep covered in refrigerator.