This is a Japanese style teriyaki sauce/marinade that uses pineapple with skins, apples and mirin. You can adjust sweetness to your specifications by altering the amount of sugar.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3 cups soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- 1 orange, juiced
- 6 ounces chopped fresh pineapple with skin
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 4 tablespoons white sugar, divided
In a saucepan, combine soy sauce, mirin, orange juice, pineapple, Granny Smith apple, garlic, ginger, and half of the sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Adjust sweetness to taste with remaining sugar. Strain through a fine mesh sieve; cool.