An oven-barbecued chicken with a special twist: plum jam and dried onion soup mixed with your best barbecue sauce.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1 lemon - sliced, for garnish
Dredge chicken in flour, turning to coat all over.
In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken pieces about 8 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
Combine sausage, garlic, onion, peppers, tomatoes, sugar, thyme, oregano, salt, and allspice in the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until peppers are softened.
Stir in rice, and add stock. Nestle chicken into rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cover. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and juices run clear when chicken is pierced. Serve sprinkled with parsley. Garnish with lemon slices if you like.