This Jamaican specialty makes great sandwiches. Our version is made with lettuce, tomato, Pepper Jack cheese, and a lime mayonnaise spread. You can easily broil this sandwich, or substitute kiwi for the tomato for more variations.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 slices SARA LEE® Soft & Smooth™ Whole Grain White Bread
- 6 slices low-fat Pepper Jack cheese
- 6 leaves lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
In a food processor or blender, combine the green onions, onion, jalapeno pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, vegetable oil, brown sugar, thyme, cloves, nutmeg and allspice. Mix for about 15 seconds. Place the chicken in a medium bowl, and coat with the marinade. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, or overnight.
Preheat grill for high heat. Remove chicken breasts from marinade, and discard leftover marinade. Lightly oil grill grate. Cook chicken on the preheated grill 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Cut chicken into thin strips.
In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, lime juice, and black pepper; spread onto one side of each slice bread. Arrange chicken strips on 6 slices bread, and top with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and remaining bread to make 6 sandwiches.
Jay's Jerk Chicken, submitted by R.H. Solomon, was used to make this delicious sandwich.