This is a delicious blend of mixed vegetables and turkey meatballs that is guaranteed to make you smile!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 cups sofrito sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup salsa
- 16 ounces low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
Roll the ground turkey into small meatballs. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook meatballs 5 minutes, or until evenly browned. Drain, and set aside.
Heat remaining oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the green bell peppers, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and onions until tender. Stir in the sofrito and tomato sauce, and continue cooking until heated through. Mix in potatoes, carrots, and broccoli. Pour in the water and salsa, and bring to a boil. Place meatballs in the pot. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes. Top with mozzarella cheese to serve.
If you do not have any sofrito available, it only takes about 5 minutes to make. In a blender or food processor, add 2 large green peppers, a whole garlic head, 10 sprigs of cilantro, 2 tomatoes, pinch of salt, 1 large onion, a sprig of parsley, and 1 cup water. Chop so that it remains a chunky mixture.