Enough chili for a big party! The secret ingredient for this recipe is a 12 oz. bottle of beer. Serve with grated cheddar or jalapeno jack, sour cream, salsa, and chopped onion.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3 pounds beef chuck
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
Place meat in freezer until slightly frozen. Cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes.
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meat until it turns gray. Stir in onions and garlic. Cook until onions are tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Cut up canned tomatoes, reserving juice; combine in a 6 quart cooking pot with tomato sauce, beer, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, brown sugar, beef base, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Bring to a slow boil over high heat. Add meat mixture, and reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 to 3 hours.
Mix in pinto beans. Simmer for 1/2 hour longer. Taste, and adjust seasonings if desired.