Hearty tubes of manicotti are stuffed with a rich blend of ricotta and Romano cheeses, spinach, eggs, onion, garlic and thyme, drizzled with a simple tomato sauce, sprinkled with mozzarella and baked until bubbly.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (8 ounce) package manicotti pasta
- 1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
In a large pot cook manicotti pasta with boiling salted water until al dente. Rinse with warm water and drain.
In a large bowl mix together ricotta cheese, eggs, onion, grated Romano cheese, chicken bouillon, garlic, thyme, ground black pepper, and spinach.
To assemble, fill manicotti noodles with cheese filling. Arrange noodles in a greased 9x13 inch pan. Pour tomato sauce down center of shells. Sprinkle with shredded Mozzarella cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree(175 degree C) oven for 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.