These power bars are delicious and much more nutritious than most granola bars. They are very filling, too. Instead of using dried mixed fruit, feel free to substitute any of your favorite dried fruits. Same goes for the nuts.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat and barley nugget cereal (e.g. Grapenuts TM)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (7 ounce) bag chopped dried mixed fruit
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line a 9 inch square baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, cereal, and cinnamon. Add the egg, applesauce, honey, brown sugar, and oil. Mix well. Stir in the sunflower seeds, walnuts, and dried fruit. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared pan.
Bake 30 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned around the edges. Let cool. Use the foil to lift from the pan. Cut into bars or squares, and store in the refrigerator.