Much like the N'awlins muffuletta, this is a large sandwich layered in a round loaf of crusty bread. You can be flexible and vary the cold cuts that you use according to personal preference! Must be done a day ahead, which makes for an easy serve.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (1 pound) loaf round, crusty Italian bread
- 1/2 pound sliced deli turkey meat
- 1/2 pound sliced ham
- 1/4 pound sliced salami
- 1/2 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
- 6 leaves lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and garlic. Season with parsley, oregano and pepper. stir in olives and mushrooms. Set aside.
Cut the off top half of the bread. Scoop out the inside, and leave a 1/2 inch outside wall. Spoon 2/3 of the olive mixture into the bottom. Layer with turkey, ham, salami, mozzarella, lettuce and tomato. Pour remaining olive mixture on top, and replace the top half of bread. Wrap securely in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.