This salad is so versatile because you can vary the veggies according to the seasons and it still tastes fabulous. The marinade is the key. Vinegar and oil is mixed with a bit of dry mustard, sugar and poppy seeds and then poured over the veggies and chil
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 head fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
Blanch broccoli and cauliflower in a large pot of boiling water until just barely tender. Drain and rise with cold water.
In a large bowl combine broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, pepper, celery and onion.
In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, poppy seeds, sugar, mustard, salt and vegetable oil. Mix until well blended.
Pour the marinade over the vegetables and mix well. Chill overnight before serving. Keep any extras refrigerated.