Popular and spicy West African chicken and rice dish - this is a one pot meal with chicken, rice, fresh green beans, onions, and carrots all stewed together with fresh rosemary, red pepper flakes, and nutmeg.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups water
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pour oil into large saucepan. Cook onion in oil over medium-low heat until translucent.
Stir in stewed tomatoes and tomato paste, and season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce and rosemary. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, stir in water, and add chicken pieces. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in rice, carrots, and green beans, and season with nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer until the chicken is fork-tender and the rice is cooked, 25 to 30 minutes.