Traditional vodka sauce is the basis for this recipe, but with a twist to suit my family's taste. This is quick enough to serve on a weeknight but is also a treat for company.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 (8 ounce) package uncooked farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 (6 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place farfalle pasta in the pot, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until evenly brown. Mix in the roasted red peppers, mushrooms, and vodka, and bring to a boil. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until most of the vodka has evaporated and mushrooms are tender.
Mix the tomatoes, half-and-half, and red pepper into the skillet. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently, 15 minutes. Serve over the cooked pasta, and top with Parmesan cheese.