Flavorful black-eyed pea recipe, originally designed for New Year's Eve but great for any time of year.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1 (3 ounce) jar bacon bits
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, mix the black-eyed peas, green onions, celery, bell pepper, pimentos, and bacon bits.
In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, red wine vinegar, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss with the salad. Cover and chill at least 3 hours before serving.