This version of the classic pie is made with lemon-lime gelatin, lime juice and grated rind, condensed milk and sour cream stirred in. The filling is then poured into a baked pastry shell and chilled until firm.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime flavored gelatin mix
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Chill until mixture starts to congeal.
In a separate bowl (after gelatin has started to thicken and congeal) mix milk, lime juice, food coloring and grated lime rind until well blended.
Stir in sour cream; then fold in thickened gelatin. Pour into pastry shell. Chill until firm.
Garnish with whipped topping or whipped cream and lime slices.